Gas Safety For Landlords

Gas Safety For Landlords

As a Landlord you should be aware that you are responsible for the safety of your tenants by law. Your legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodations occupied under a lease or licence. The gas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998 outlines that it is the landlord’s duty to ensure that their gas appliances, fittings etc provided are safe for the use their tenants.

This short article will take your through the necessary information needed so you the landlord can obtain their duty of keeping their tenants safe.

Gas Safety Checks

It is a legal requirement Gas appliances and flues must be safety checked annually by a qualified gas safe registered engineer. However, with the new regulations introduced in April 2018 landlords are now allowed to arrange gas safety checks to be carried out anytime between 10 – 12 calendar months after the previous gas safety check, whilst still preserving the original expiry date.

The contract you make with your tenants should allow you access to complete any maintenance or safety checks that need to be done showing that you took all necessary steps to comply with the law. We advise a record to be kept of all correspondence with the tenants, for example leave the tenant a notice stating that an attempt was made to complete the gas safety check and provide your contact details.

After a gas safety check, you should keep a record for 2 years and supply this record or gas safety certificate within 28 days of the check taking place to existing tenants or before new tenants move in.

Click here to get a FREE Gas Safety Check Quote.

Annual Boiler Service

Your gas boiler is an essential part of your home and highly rely on it to bring heating and hot water for your tenants. Carrying out an inspection and service on your boiler will keep it running smoothly throughout the year, reducing the risk of a breakdown and helping to prolong the life of your boiler.

You will need a registered engineer to conduct the service of the boiler and in addition they will provide advice and tips on using your heat more efficiently saving you money as a landlord by reducing costs.

Finding Gas Safety Engineers

When requiring an annual boiler service or gas safety check you will need a registered gas safety engineer, but how do you find these engineers?

Visit Gas Safe Register to find the official list of businesses that are legally permitted to carry out gas work. Every registered business employs an engineer(s), who is issued with a Gas Safe ID card. Remember not all engineers are qualified to do all types of gas work – so check their ID card before any work is carried out.

You can find CP12 Energy on the Gas Safe Register where all our gas safety engineers are qualified and carry a gas safe ID card. Get in touch today.

Your Responsibilities

As you are the resident of the property when renting the accommodation, it is your responsibility to complete maintenance on the gas appliances in a safe condition. The tenant should service the gas appliances in accordance with the frequency given in the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available, you should get in touch with your landlord and arrange an annual service unless advised otherwise by a gas safe engineer.

Any gas appliances owned by tenants are not the landlord’s responsibility, however the connecting pipework and chimney (if not solely connected to the tenant’s appliance) remains the responsibility of the landlord to maintain.

Gas Safety Records

When a registered gas engineer has completed a gas safety check in your home, they will record all of the checks they have carried out on a form. This is the Gas Safety Record, and it will list all of the appliances and fittings they have checked in the property.

When renting a property from a private landlord, the council, a housing association, student accommodation or any other landlord, they should provide you with a copy of the record within 28 days of the check being completed. If you are a new tenant, you should expect to be given a copy of the latest record upon moving into the residency. Find out more information on Gas Safety Records.

If you do not receive a Gas Safety Record from your landlord for your current property, you need to ask your landlord for this document. If they fail to do so, you need to report them to the HSE, because failing to follow gas safety requirements is a criminal offence and the HSE has the power to issue a formal caution and may prosecute your landlord.

Students Moving into a Rented Property

As a student you are like any other tenant in that your landlord needs to ensure that any gas appliances in the property are safe for you to use. It’s unlikely gas safety is at the top of your priorities, but know your rights and the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – it may just save your life one day.

The six symptoms of carbon monoxide (headache, muscle weakness, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness) can be mistaken for a hangover. To avoid this request for an audible carbon monoxide alarm with your landlord or you can buy a battery operated one at a DIY store. Usually the same cost of a good night out.

If you have any gas safety questions feel free to get in touch with us here.