CP12 Certificate Demystified

business approve and certificate concept, confirmation of business marketing document permit

CP12 Certificate Demystified

It is a legal requirement that landlords and tenants get all gas appliances and flues in their property checked every year and provided with a Gas Safety Certificate. This gas safety check must be completed by a gas registered engineer on the gas safe register.

It can be quite confusing when it comes to gas safety and no tenant or landlord should be uninformed on the laws and procedures.

So, here’s a few things you may not be aware of when it comes to CP12 Certificates.

What is a CP12 Certificate?

The name CP12 Certificate is an abbreviation of the authorised regulatory body CORGI Proforma 12 who were the legally authorised body from 1991 – 2009 for UK Gas Registered Installers. CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) ceased in 2009 and is now the Gas Safe Register.

The idea behind the CP12 Certificate is to provide evidence that the landlord of the property has followed their legal obligations in relation to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Faulty gas appliances can pose a threat to life and can cause devastating outcomes such as gas leaks that can result in suffocation or cause an explosion. This is why your gas appliances should be checked annually by a gas safe registered engineer and receive a new/updated CP12 Certificate each time.

What to look for on a CP12 Certificate?

Once you have received your CP12 Certificate you should keep hold of this record for 2 years and provide a copy of this to any tenants within 28 days of the gas safety check or when new tenants move in.

On the certificate you will find the following information:

  • The name, ID number and signature of the person who performed the gas safety check;
  • The date of the check;
  • The address of the relevant property;
  • Locations and details of appliances and flues;
  • Any problems the engineer discovered, and any action taken to repair these problems;
  • The name and address of the property owner, i.e. the landlord;
  • A statement from the engineer that confirms that the check was completed properly and that it complies with relevant legislation; and
  • The date of the next scheduled gas safety check.

What’s the difference between CP12 and a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate?

When CORGI ceased and became the Gas Safe Register as we know it today, they decided that the CP12 designation was considered to no longer be appropriate for the title of the certificate. As a result, the certificate was given a more generic title, the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate which meant the certificate wasn’t tied to any one company. So apart from the title being different the document is the exact same and you will find the same information and have to follow the same regulations as before.

Even though the name has officially changed both terms are still used interchangeably, but this will start to become less frequent as the newer generation of gas safe engineer proliferates. 

Average Cost of a CP12 Certificate

When it comes to renewing your CP12 Certificate there is no set cost, the engineer charges the price they want for the inspection and issue of the document. Prices can range from £35 to as much as £150 or more with very little difference in service, and this is just for the service itself. If your inspection fails, the cost of any repairs will be placed on top of the initially cost.

To view our prices for a CP12 Certificate and for more information on gas safety follow our social media pages on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.